Saturday, July 11, 2009

Strawberry Jam

I have been wanting to make homemade strawberry jam forever, but never knew how. I didn't realize how easy it actually was. A website called Intimate Weddings caught my eye because they had a recipe for strawberry jam that looked really simple to make.

We have made it twice now and it is WAY better than store bought jelly

I halved the recipe that was listed on the website, because they jarred theirs. I just keep mine in a tupperware container in the fridge because we eat it so quickly. I base my food around whether I can add jam to it (seriously). I would like to jar some soon that way when strawberries are all out of season, I can still have some in my cupboard. You can click on

The ingredients:

6 cups of fresh strawberries

3 cups of sugar (i used turbinado)

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice


The directions are simply to mash the strawberries in the pot then add the lemon juice (through a strainer) and sugar. Boil for 20-30 minutes, stirring constantly. Skim the foam off the top periodically. Keep checking for thickness then remove from heat. To check for thickness their idea was to spoon some jelly on a plate and if it runs like syrup it is not ready yet; but do not overthicken. For more detailed information you can read their post.

No comments: