Saturday, October 23, 2010

Chocolate cravings


I used to say, "I don't like chocolate." Well, times have changed...along with my waistline.
For me, justification of eating sweets is much easier when baking homemade desserts with organic/high quality ingredients. Although it's probably the same justificaiton as I used to make in college when I would use the term muffin instead of cupcake, just so i could indulge myself more. We all know that muffins are healthier, right? :)

1. Chocolate Syrup (click here for recipe)
The other day, Mike threatened to buy Hershey's Chocolate Syrup in the store to pour over our vanilla ice cream. I pointed out that it said, chocolate FLAVOR and wasn't real chocolate.
So to appease him, I made some incredible chocolate syrup when we got home.

2. Oreo Cookies (click here for recipe)
The kids and Dad have been asking for Oreo's. It sounds controlling, I bet, but I can't buy them. I would rather make them so there are no preservatives in the foods we eat. Plus, money is saved by using the ingredients I already have at home. Anyway, the kids and I made these oreo cookies today and I was surprised at how similar they taste to real Oreo's.

Have I mentioned how much I love organic dark chocolate bars?
I need to get a grip!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I can't wait to make my own chocolate syrup! Thanks Mel!
Angi