Sunday, December 5, 2010

Respite



Monterey Bay/Carmel was our respite, our short interval of rest or relief. This is the 2nd year in a row that we have taken a mini-vacation on Thanksgiving day. I would love for this to become our holiday tradition. Forget the enormous amounts of cooking, and endless hours of football. Give me time away with my family. Time to reflect on why we are thankful.




The minute we smelled the ocean air, took in the gorgeous view and had our feet touch the white sand of Carmel, this was my response! Jumping for pure Joy.
It has been 6 months since we have lived near the ocean. Besides college, my whole life has been spent near the Ocean. I never realized my deep connection with the coast and it's renewing sense of peace and calm in my life. I guess you could say, I really like long walks on the beach.
Since the water and air were too chilly for a swim, we walked and explored, and jumped.
It was the perfect day.
I must not forget to mention breakfast that day. Katy's in Carmel served the most breakfasty breakfast. Imagine what the perfect french toast should taste like, and that's just how it was. MMM saucy goodness is their slogan. Need I say more?!
By the way, I am thankful for this beautiful man.

Later, we drove the "17 mile drive" along the coast. Absolutely Gorgeous!
I am also thankful how nature reminds us of the vastness, goodness, and beauty of our GOD.

In this season of life, may God be my eternal respite!

3 comments:

Art Teacher said...

It was so great chatting with you today. I'm going to pray that you find a kindred spirit soon! You're so pretty, I love the family shot of you all. The wind whipping through your hair is simply enchanting!

Amber Wheeler Spatola said...

i love you mel.

kim said...

We discovered Carmel in August. I am smitten, too! You guys have to stop in if you head south! It would be fun!